Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Holly Golightly


I have always enjoyed Audrey Hepburn movies and came across this poem by her in one of my e-mails.

Below is a wonderful poem Audrey Hepburn
wrote when asked to share her "Beauty Tips."
Years later, it was read at her funeral.


For attractive lips,
speak words of kindness.


For lovely eyes,
seek out the good in people.


For a slim figure,
share your food with the hungry.


For beautiful hair,
let a child run his/her fingers through it once a day.


For poise,
walk with the knowledge that you never walk alone.


People, even more than things,
have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed,
and redeemed; never throw out anyone.


Remember, if you ever need a helping hand,
you will find one at the end of each of your arms.


As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands;
one for helping yourself, and the other for helping others.

Audrey Hepburn (1929 - 1993)
Source: Audrey herself


Every movie I've seen her in, she does a tremendous job of acting and taking on the character like a second skin. One of my favorites was Holly Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffany's.

This is from her biography:

In her later years, acting took a back seat to her work on behalf of children. She became a goodwill ambassador for UNICEF in the late 1980s. Traveling the world, Hepburn tried to raise awareness about children in need. She understood too well what it was like to go hungry from her days in The Netherlands during the German Occupation. Making more than 50 trips, Hepburn visited UNICEF projects in Asia, Africa, and Central and South America. She won a special Academy Award for her humanitarian work in 1993, but she did not live long enough to receive it. Hepburn died on January 20, 1993, at her home in Tolochenaz, Switzerland after a battle with colon cancer.

Sometimes I want to be as carefree as "Holly Golightly" but without all the drama she had. But I don't want to lose sight of who I am in Christ and why I am allowed to continue my life on this earth. I pray that God will use me to reach others who need Him but don't maybe realize it or are afraid of what it involves.

No comments: