Thursday, February 5, 2009

Testing of Faith



Faith ... that's what we hold onto when there is nothing else.

Being diagnosed with colon cancer in November 2005 was the beginning of my testing of faith. Even then as I was facing surgery and the unknown, I was at peace with what was going on. When I would go into my chemotherapy treatments, I would always take God in with me and ask him to flow through the tubing and make sure the chemo went where it was supposed to.

After surgery and six months of chemotherapy (and some rough times through that), things were looking up and going smoothly; my God was with me every step of the way.

In June 2007 I had a PET scan due to a slowly rising CEA, which is a cancer indicator test. The scan showed something was in my liver and in September I underwent liver resection. Again, my Lord and Savior was there with me — that is the only way I made it through. The peace he gave me was indescribable. I had six more months of chemo and ended in April of this year.

My CEA had once again gone up and I had a PET scan in May, which showed a suspicious area in my abdominal cavity. After doctor appointments that went from nothing could be done to we'll try more chemo, my wonderful husband took me to a cancer treatment facility where more testing was done, including a CAT and PET scan.

I'll never forget the bewildered look on the doctor's face as he walked in the room and placed his hand on my shoulder. My heart just sank for a moment, but I knew that no matter what I faced that God would get me through it again. The words, "There is no cancer seen," took just a minute to set in. "Thank God!" I said over and over.

Some people may have to take apart what happened and exam the scans and reports to see how this could be. I know what happened. I believe in prayer and many wonderful people were praying daily for me. I know God did answer those prayers.

One of the things God impressed upon me was the word longevity, and I have held onto that. I don't know what he has planned for me in the coming days, weeks, months or years, but I do know I will live each and every day for him. He has given me another beginning in my life, another chance to get it right and let his light shine. And I plan to do just that.

No comments: